We have recently finished one of our intersting builds here at Top Level Motorsport – Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2008.
Our foreign customer asked us to do something extraordinary weird:
“I want powerful, 4wd car with mechanical transmission, supercar candling being comfortable with luxury interior and good stereo…to be my winter daily driver!”
We have chosen Subaru WRX STi hatchback. Truly saying Subaru – is not a comfortable car. And thats not saying about interior, stereo and reliability. All of those tuned STis are very loud with backfiring and have huge turbo-lag (spool time). All factors were against us 🙂
But we developed our plan:
1) Engine tuning:
– Manley forged pistons rods
– Cylinder head porting with Kelford cams
– OIl passaged porting
– TGV and EGR delete
– Top Level special air/oil separators and oil drainage back to sump
– ARP fasteners
With those mods our EJ257 became much more powerful at all rpm, better throttle response and incresed hp potential.
2) Transmission tuning:
– Gearbox got all new internals because previous owner did a good job killing them
– Clutch Masters special single disc clutch kit
– DriveShaft Shop Carbon fiber driveshaft
The result – perfect gear shifting, clutch pedal is feather light while having much increased capacity. Carbon fiber driveshaft gave the better power transition and that unmatched feeling of the whole drivetrain.
3) Custom Top Level Motorsport turbo-kit:
– Equal lenght header with proper runner diameter
– Custom V-band uppipe
– Custom Downpipe with sport metallic cat and V-band
– Precision Turbo CEA turbocharger
– TiAL Wastegate
– ETS Top Mount Intercooler
– Tanabe Medallion Touring made quite yet sporty exhaust note
– HKS bov
– Custom intake
– Turbosmart electronic boost controller
This configuration has increased torque at whole rpm range and lower the exhaust note volume. As for Subaru, this one has absolutely no turbo-lag. Precision turbocharger has responsed even to a slight touch of the throttle. This is with turbocharger horsepower potential of 500 plus hp. Boost has increased to 1.6 bar relative to atmosphere.
All this with absolutely calm and sporty exhaust level note, just like factory sports car league.
4) Fuel system upgrades:
– Quality and reliable Deatschwerks injectors
– 320lph Deatschwerks fuel pump
– Perrin fuel rails which provided accurate fuel distribution
– Fuelab fuel pressure regulator
Injector flow volume fluctuates under <0.8% which makes air fuel ratio even in all four cylinders while Deatchwerks fuel pump flows enough fuel to feed motor up to 700hp.
5) Suspension upgrades:
– Ohlins DFV coilovers
– Lots of GTSPEC and Cusco braces
– Perrin sway bars
– Whiteline urethane bushings
– Torque Solution polyurethane engine and transmission mounts
This made already good-handled Subaru STi a true supersportscar! And comfortable too! We have fine tuned Ohlins so the right height remained the same while have set the max soft setting of the dampers. Finally it was very sporty and comfartable. You could feel every texture of the road and feel the total control at high speed.
Oh yes, speed- she likes it. 🙂
– Defi gauges
– Innovate MTX-L wideband airfuel ratio sensor
– 2-DIN stereo with navigation
– Coral Audio speakers with amplifier
Got best of both worlds – good, qulaity music, navigation and engine control with Defi Advance CR.
– Photos speak for themselves 🙂
– 25 quality big texture carbon fiber parts
– Full of alcantara
– Seats in quality natural leather (nappa)
Our EcuTek RaceROM tune made possible a dream of all Subaru owners – a possibility of switching different octane maps on the fly. This was performed with factory Si-Drive knob. For even better control – we have programmed Turbosmart E-boost2 boost controller with different boost maps to suit your used octane.
This STi has opened our eyes to what a different animal STi can be – it can be a true world class sports car.
Its a true pleasure to have a such daily driver. Its fast, its beautiful, its comfortable, good for winter, good for summer, good….